Gastric Bypass Surgery

My weight loss journey after Gastric Bypass surgery.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Eating After Gastric Bypass Surgery

A lot of people tend to think that gastric bypass surgery is an easy way to lose weight and you can eat whatever you want following the surgery. I think gastric bypass surgery was the best thing that ever happened to me but it is a life changing event that you should be fully prepared for.

First of all, you will not be able to have your full diet back until a full year after your surgery and there is always at least one food you love that will make you sick every time you eat it….I still can not eat pork chops and creamy soups! Immediately after gastric bypass surgery, you will be on a liquid diet of water, broth and juice for two days. You then progress to pureed foods (like apple sauce, yogurt, pudding, liquid meal replacements and eggs) for about a month while your stomach heals. Then you progress onto easy-to-chew foods, cooked vegetables, soft fruits, and ground chicken and fish.

Red meat is very difficult to digest, even when ground, and should be avoided until at least a year after weight loss surgery. Other foods to temporarily avoid following surgery are spicy foods (six weeks), fruit and vegetable skins (six months), carbonated beverages (six months), and bread (one year).

After gastric bypass surgery your body will have difficulty absorbing certain nutrients so you will need blood tests to determine what vitamin and mineral supplements you need. Through this whole process you need protein-rich foods to help your body recover from the surgery, so many protein shakes and bars are consumed.

After a year you can incorporate your whole diet back into your life but that still does not mean you can eat what ever! You have to watch your combinations of foods, make sure you are getting enough protein and eat healthy foods.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the information. I am 9weeks post-op. The surgery went well. Since that time, I have developed an ulcer and I am having difficulty eating. My goal of not taking any high blood pressure and diabetic medications has already been achieved. Although I don't regret having the surgery, there are definitely risks to be considered.

     
  • At 6:59 AM, Blogger kimmy said…

    im 18 and have not had the gastric bypass surgery yet. but i do have a appointment to meet my surgeon and dietitian on tuesday. ive been thinkin about getting this surgery for about a year now. n im ready for the life change it has to come with it. but honestly ive been really thinking about it. and im scared. i mean i really want it done to live a better life but im scared. ive had surgery before but it was for a cyst on my ovary. is there any advice u could possibly give me so i wont be so scared for this procedure

     
  • At 12:42 AM, Blogger Chef Linny said…

    Kimmy, Gastric Bypass is a big surgery and a life changing one at that, it should be considered fully! I was scared too but finally had become more scared of not having the surgery because of all the medical problems I had from being overweight as well as the embarassment and general problems associated with obesity. It is a painful surgery (in my option) but I would do it again because I feel that much better!

     
  • At 1:00 AM, Blogger Chef Linny said…

    Nothing you say to someone will ever take away being scared of the actual surgery, I mean it is still surgery, there is always a risk! The only thing that will help to calm you is researching your surgeon, search online first but when you are face to face with the surgeon, ask him/her what their mortality, infection and need for follow up surgery rates are. They are tough questions to ask but a good surgeon will set your mind at ease. Also research the heck out of every aspect of the before, during and after of Gastric Bypass Surgery so you know what you are in for.

     
  • At 12:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Newest follower!
    At 500 pounds I feel the same way. I fear the surgery but I fear the consequences of not getting it more.

    I am going in for my first consultation for gastric bypass tomorrow. Thanks for the info! If you want, take a peek at my surgical weight loss blog: www.startingat500pounds.com

     
  • At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Had gastric bypass surgery three days ago. Operation went well but I had great difficulty drinking water and eating after surgery. Is this normal? I have gradually managed to drink 700mls of water and liquid food. Is this normal? I attend a support group and no one else reported these symptoms and seemed to have bounced back very quickly after surgery.

     
  • At 1:41 PM, Blogger Chef Linny said…

    Dear Anonymous,

    You did not really give me enough info to understand your problem. Are you have problems keeping the liquid down? Or do you just feel full or like you don't want it? The first two or three days were a real struggle for me to drink. I would take a couple sips and feel full, so I basically was sipping on chicken broth all day! If you are still having problems you should talk to your doctor, everyone is a little different after having the surgery so what may have been normal for me might be not be for you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home