Gastric Bypass Surgery

My weight loss journey after Gastric Bypass surgery.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Gastric Bypass Surgery Is Scary!

This was a comment and reply from this blog, I am re-posting it because it is a question I get asked a lot:

"im 18 and have not had the gastric bypass surgery yet. but i do have a appointment to meet my surgeon and dietitian on tuesday. ive been thinkin about getting this surgery for about a year now. n im ready for the life change it has to come with it. but honestly ive been really thinking about it. and im scared. i mean i really want it done to live a better life but im scared. ive had surgery before but it was for a cyst on my ovary. is there any advice u could possibly give me so i wont be so scared for this procedure"


linny29 said...
Gastric Bypass is a big surgery and a life changing one at that, it should be considered fully! I was scared too but finally had become more scared of not having the surgery because of all the medical problems I had from being overweight as well as the embarrassment and general problems associated with obesity. It is a painful surgery (in my option) but I would do it again because I feel that much better!

Nothing you say to someone will ever take away being scared of the actual surgery, I mean it is still surgery, there is always a risk! The only thing that will help to calm you is researching your surgeon, search online first but when you are face to face with the surgeon, ask him/her what their mortality, infection and need for follow up surgery rates are. They are tough questions to ask but a good surgeon will set your mind at ease. Also research the heck out of every aspect of the before, during and after of Gastric Bypass Surgery so you know what you are in for.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 6:33 AM, Anonymous Gastric Band said…

    There is nothing to worrry about since


    I had a gastric band fitted in December after years of yoyo dieting. I'm hoping that this will finally be the answer to all my prayers. My problem isn't losing the weight, it's keeping the weight off afterwards. So being able to maintain is my main reason for opting to go down the surgical route.

     
  • At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am a little concerned about the person who asked the question being only 18 years old and not really saying how much weight needs to be lost. I do agree that the bypass is a good option for some people who have tried various options for years, but 18 is just way too young.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home